Thomas Hall

Campus: Druid Hills in Atlanta

Namesake: James R. Thomas

Date: Construction in 1958

Purpose: Residence hall

Thomas Hall is part of a collection of residence halls known as the Complex, which also includes Hopkins Hall and Smith Hall.

The building is named for the fifth president of Emory, James R. Thomas, who served from 1855 to 1867, the most tenuous period in Emory's existence. He and two other faculty members petitioned the Board of Trustees to reopen Emory College after it had been closed and gone bankrupt during the Civil War.