Emory's founders were so determined to introduce higher education to rural Georgia in 1836, they created a town along with a college. And they named the town after Oxford University in England.
With such grounding, their aspirational school has since grown to include several campuses that feature:
|Main Campus||Housing eight of the university's nine schools, the main Atlanta campus covers more than 600 acres in the historic suburb of Druid Hills, a gracious, park-like residential area designed by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. The Haygood-Hopkins Memorial Gateway marks the main entrance.The original campus plan is the work of Beaux-Arts architect Henry Hornbostel. Other noted architects who have designed buildings here include John C. Portman and Michael Graves.|
|Clairmont Campus||Adjacent to and integrated with the main campus, the Clairmont campus includes modern undergraduate and graduate housing and the Student Activity and Academic Center. Emory acquired the 42 acres of an aging apartment complex in the mid-1980s and cleared it in 2001 to develop the current campus.|
|Oxford Campus||Emory got its start at the university's campus in the town of Oxford, about 40 miles east of Atlanta. When Georgia Methodists founded Emory College in 1836, they also created a town and named it in honor of the British university that educated Methodism's founder, John Wesley. Emory College moved to Atlanta in 1919. Oxford College's current two-year option dates from 1964.|
|Valdosta Campus (closed)||Emory Junior College offered classes in the south Georgia city of Valdosta from 1928 to 1953 at facilities that are now part of the University of Georgia system's Valdosta State University.|