Houston Mill House
Campus: Druid Hills in Atlanta
Namesake: Washington Jackson Houston
Washington Jackson Houston established a grist mill just downstream from the site of the Houston Mill House in the mid-1800s. Around 1900, he converted it into DeKalb County's first hydroelectric plant.
In the 1920s he sold his property to Harry Carr, an Atlanta contractor and developer who built the house as well as Druid Hills High School and the old DeKalb County courthouse. Emory bought the house and the surrounding 60 acres from Carr's widow in 1960.
The house sits off the public Houston Mill Road.