Campus: Druid Hills in Atlanta
Namesake: George Foster Pierce
Purpose: Campus road
Pierce Street honors George Foster Pierce, who served as Emory's third president, from 1848 to 1854, after first serving as Wesleyan College president for four years and as an English professor at Emory.
He left the presidency to become a Methodist bishop but later helped to raise money for four buildings erected in 1875 -- Language Hall, Humanities Hall, the Day Chapel, and another lecture hall that has since been razed.