Namesake: Atticus G. Haygood 1859C 1870H
Date: Construction in 1989 | Expansion in 1999
Purpose: Residence hall
Haygood Hall is named for Emory's eighth president, alumnus Atticus G. Haygood. The 1913 residence hall burned in 1981 and was replaced in 1989 by the current Haygood Hall.
Haygood was a progressive leader of the Methodist church whose liberal views on race sometimes set him at odds with others in the South. He resigned the Emory presidency to devote his energy to education for African Americans and later served as bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.