Namesake: Atticus Greene Haygood 1859C
Purpose: Campus road
Haygood Avenue is named for Atticus Greene Haygood, who served as Emory's eighth president from 1875 to 1884.
A Methodist minister, he left the presidency to direct the Slater Fund, a northern philanthropy that supported educational institutions for newly freed African Americans. Haygood later served as bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
There is also a Haygood Drive on the Druid Hills campus in Atlanta.