F. Phinizy Calhoun Sr.
Pioneering Ophthalmologist; Medical Professor
Grandson of the founder of the Atlanta Medical College (precursor of the Emory School of Medicine) and the son of the first eye-and-ear specialist in the southeastern U.S., F. Phinizy Calhoun Sr. was destined for a distinguished medical career.
He served as chair of Emory's Department of Ophthalmology from 1910 to 1940. Calhoun established a lectureship at the University of Georgia in honor of his grandfather, and his family created and endowed the medical library at Emory as a memorial to his father. In turn, the chair of ophthalmology at Emory was established in his honor in 1960.