Dorothy E. Brinsfield
Dean of Students, School of Medicine
In 1950, when women were still relatively rare in medical school, Dorothy E. Brinsfield graduated from the Medical College of Georgia. She did postgraduate training at Emory and rose to be chief resident in pediatrics, later becoming Emory's first fellow in pediatric cardiology. She became director of that division in 1970, helping to build it into the renowned program it is today.
Brinsfield was named the first William Patterson Timmie Professor of Pediatrics in 1974. On Valentine's Day, 1975, she performed the first cardiac catheterization at Egleston Children's Hospital (now Children's Healthcare of Atlanta); that same year, she became the much-loved dean of students in the medical school. Brinsfield continued to serve the school after her retirement in 1993.